October 30, 2018 — The American Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (ASTRO) 2018 annual meeting included 10 top-rated clinical studies. The ASTRO 2018 annual meeting, held Oct. 21-23 in San Antonio, Texas drews more than 11,000 attendees.
The highlighted studies below are linked to full articles.
Advances in Breast and Lung Cancers
Sunday, Oct. 21
- "Randomized Trial Evaluating Radiation following Surgical Excision for 'Good Risk' DCIS: 12-Year Report from NRG/RTOG 9804," presented by Beryl McCormick, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- "FAST Phase III RCT of Radiation Therapy Hypofractionation for Treatment of Early Breast Cancer: 10-Year Results (CRUKE/04/015)," presented by Murray Brunt, Institute of Cancer Research, London
- "Local Consolidative Therapy (LCT) Improves Overall Survival (OS) Compared to Maintenance Therapy/Observation in Oligometastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): Final Results of a Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled Phase 2 Trial," presented by Daniel Gomez, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Advances in Genitourinary Cancers
Monday, Oct. 22
- "Androgen Receptor Activity and Radiotherapeutic Sensitivity in African-American Men with Prostate Cancer: A Large-Scale Gene Expression Analysis and Meta-analysis of RTOG Trials," presented by Daniel Spratt, University of Michigan
- "Long-Term Outcomes of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Low- and Intermediate-Risk Prostate Adenocarcinoma: A Multi-Institutional Consortium Study," presented by Amar U. Kishan, University of California, Los Angeles
- "Renal SABR in Patients with a Solitary Kidney: An Individual-Patient Pooled Analysis from the International Radiosurgery Oncology Consortium for Kidney (IROCK)," presented by Rohann Correa, London Regional Cancer Program
- "Short Term Androgen Deprivation Therapy Without or With Pelvic Lymph Node Treatment Added to Prostate Bed Only Salvage Radiation Therapy: The NRG Oncology/RTOG 0534 SPPORT Trial," presented by Alan Pollack, University of Miami
Advances in Oral and Oligometastatic Cancers
Tuesday, Oct. 23
- "Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for the Comprehensive Treatment of Oligometastatic Tumors (SABR-COMET): Results of A Randomized Trial," presented by David Palma, London Health Sciences Centre
- "NRG-RTOG 1016: Phase III Trial Comparing Radiation/Cetuximab to Radiation/Cisplatin in HPV-related Cancer of the Oropharynx," presented by Andy Trotti, Moffitt Cancer Center
- "Plasma Circulating Tumor HPV DNA for the Surveillance of Cancer Recurrence in HPV-associated Oropharyngeal Cancer," presented by Bhisham Chera, University of North Carolina
Other ASTRO News and Videos:
VIDEO: Radiation Oncology Reimbursement Update From ASTRO — Interview with Anne Hubbard, MBA, ASTRO director of health policy
VIDEO: Biologically Guided Radiation Therapy Using Real-time PET Imaging — Interview with Kristin Higgens, M.D., Emory
VIDEO: Beaumont's Experience With Proton Therapy After One Year — Interview with Peyman Kabolizadeh, M.D., Beaumont Proton Therapy Center
VIDEO: The Use of Nanoparticles in Radiation Therapy — Interview with James Welsh, M.D., MD Anderson Cancer Center
VIDEO: FDA-cleared Bra Helps Improve Breast Positioning During Radiation Therapy — Interview with Elizabeth Chabner-Thompson, M.D., MPH
VIDEO: Use of Liquid Biopsies to Assess Radiotherapy Response — Interview with Aadel Chaudhuri, M.D.
VIDEO: Personalizing Radiotherapy Using Genomic Markers of Radiosensitivity — Interview with Javier Torres-Roca, M.D.
VIDEO: Improving Breast Cancer Surgery With Electronic Brachytherapy IORT — Interview with A. M. Niser Syed, M.D.
For more information: www.astro.org