September 27, 2010 — Several products for image guidance, digital control, field shaping and respiratory motion management for radiation oncology were presented at the 2010 meeting of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO), Sept. 12-16, in Barcelona, Spain.
The Elekta booth featured a 3-D hologram theater designed to show visitors how the company equips clinicians with the tools they need to optimize patient care. Elekta also exhibited several new, developing and field-proven solutions, including:
- Agility multileaf collimator (MLC) prototype, featuring a leaf positioning system that utilizes optical technology to verify and ensure accuracy. In addition, Agility will offer 160 5 mm leaves across the full 40 by 40 cm field to provide a single, versatile MLC for a spectrum of applications.
- Integrity digital linear accelerator control, now in its sixth generation, synchronizes multiple linac operations through a single centralized control system to increase performance and reduce the risk of errors.
- Intuity image guidance for tumors and critical structures, offering superior image quality combined with the largest available image size.
- Symmetry respiratory motion management for lung tumor treatment, which enables clinicians to reduce margins, account for baseline shifts and employ uninterrupted treatment delivery while the patient breathes freely.
- Monaco treatment planning with volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT). It optimizes single or multiple noncoplanar arcs simultaneously, providing flexibility and control for complex treatment plans.
- Clarity soft tissue visualization, capable of integrating with any linac platform.
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion stereotactic radiosurgery system for treatment of multiple metastases with speed and precision.
Agility and Integrity are works-in-progress and not available for sale or distribution. Clarity is not for sale or distribution in all regions.