July 16, 2007 — U.S. News & World Report announced publication of the 2007 edition of America's Best Hospitals.
Now in its 18th year, America's Best Hospitals is widely considered the most authoritative hospital guide, this year screening over 5,462 hospitals and medical centers, virtually all short-term, acute-care hospitals in the United States.
The guide ranks 173 hospitals and medical centers in 16 specialties: cancer; digestive disorders; ear, nose, and throat; endocrinology; geriatrics; gynecology; heart and heart surgery; kidney disease; neurology and neurosurgery; ophthalmology; orthopedics; psychiatry; rehabilitation; respiratory disorders; rheumatology; and urology.
The rankings weigh three elements equally: reputation, death rate, and a set of care-related factors such as nursing and patient services.
Of the 173 medical centers that are ranked in this year's edition of America's Best Hospitals, 18 earned "Honor Roll" status by ranking at or near the top (i.e., at least two standard deviations above the mean in statistical terms) in at least six specialties, a demonstration of unusually broad expertise.
This year's "Honor Roll" of 18 hospitals is four more than last year's:
1. Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore)
2. Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN)
3. UCLA Medical Center (Los Angeles)
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston)
6. New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
7. Duke University Medical Center (Durham, NC)
7. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
9. Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University (St. Louis)
10. Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston)
11. University of Washington Medical Center (Seattle)
12. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)
13. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
14. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers (Ann Arbor)
15. Stanford Hospital and Clinics (Stanford, CA)
15. Yale-New Haven Hospital (New Haven, CT)
17. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles)
17. University of Chicago Medical Center
For more information: health.usnews.com/besthospitals