August 18, 2017 — SuperSonic Imagine recently introduced the newest version of its premium ultrasound system, Aixplorer Ultimate, the result of French research and innovation using SuperSonic Imagine’s UltraFast technology. UltraFast, which offers acquisition rates 200 times faster than conventional ultrasound systems according to the company, has opened up the possibility of new imaging modalities that are now used daily by physicians.
The Aixplorer Ultimate incorporates new architecture boasting 4.5 times more computing power than previous Aixplorer models. It also has a new streamlined look and intuitive user interface. Ease of use has been improved dramatically, especially for extended periods of work. Ultimate also incorporates the very latest UltraFast innovation – Needle PL.U.S – enabling simultaneous visualization of anatomical structures, biopsy needles and their trajectory with a high level of precision. This new feature sits alongside other modalities including:
- ShearWave Elastography (SWE), used to view and measure the stiffness of tissue in real time using color mapping;
- UltraFast Doppler, which combines Pulsed Doppler and Color Doppler in a single sweep;
- Angio PL.U.S, offering high resolution for imaging microvascularization in lesions; and
- TriVu (B mode + SWE + Color+), a new triplex modality combining three types of diagnostic information into a single examination.
These innovations provide fast and reliable access to diagnostic information, an essential resource for the diagnosis and assessment of major diseases such as chronic liver disease and breast and prostate cancers.
In the breast, Aixplorer Ultimate helps to improve the identification of malignant or benign lesions and to reduce the number of negative biopsies.
The advantages of SWE in the diagnosis of mammary lesions have been demonstrated in more than 100 publications, including an international study involving more than 1,600 patients1-2. When this technology is combined with conventional ultrasound, diagnoses can be more accurate, significantly reducing the number of false positives, and thus the number of unnecessary biopsies.
In the liver, Aixplorer Ultimate can assess levels of fibrosis and NASH without a biopsy.
SWE makes it possible to quantify liver stiffness in a non-invasive manner. Liver stiffness is a key parameter when diagnosing, assessing and monitoring liver fibrosis. That is why more than 100 international articles agree in demonstrating the reliability and effectiveness of this technology in this particular field.
In the prostate, Aixplorer Ultimate provides effective guidance for biopsies.
Clinical studies show that SWE considerably increases biopsy efficiency. Its color mapping helps doctors target sampling and keep the number of samples to a minimum.
SWE is also frequently used in musculoskeletal imaging to view muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints, for the purposes of tendinopathy diagnosis and monitoring. Aixplorer, with its UltraFast technology, is also every effective in vascular and pediatric examinations.
For more information: www.supersonicimagine.com
1. ShearWave Elastography for breast masses is highly reproducible. Cosgrove DO et al. European Radiology 2011 Dec 31
2. Shear-wave Elastography Improves the Specificity of Breast US: The BE1 Multinational Study of 939 Masses Radiology (2012 Feb;262(2):435-449) by Wendie A. Berg, MD, PhD, et al. Radiology. 2012 Feb;262(2):435-49. doi: 10.1148/radiol.11110640. Eur Radiol. 2012 May; 22(5): 1023–1032.