September 13, 2017 — Since announcing the integration of CareSelect Imaging with Epic's enterprise electronic health record (EHR), National Decision Support Co. (NDSC) has steadily expanded the reach of its CareSelect Platform into the market. Over 225 mutual clients have adopted NDSC's foundational imaging solution to power imaging stewardship initiatives and compliance with federal legislation.
Health systems are now extending their CareSelect implementations by executing advisories and pathways to provide coverage for high-impact medications, lab ordering, procedure and clinical pathways. Content is authored from nationally recognized sources including Choosing Wisely. The additional advisories are managed and delivered within the EHR via an open application programming interface (API) connection to NDSC's CareSelect Platform.
"It is encouraging to see that companies like NDSC have been able to create such value through a single connector," said Adam Whitlatch, a lead developer for Epic's clinical systems. "NDSC is making it more turnkey than ever before to quickly turn on world-class clinical knowledge in a health system."
The CareSelect Platform enables organizations to deliver a wide range of clinical decision support solutions through a single, dynamically data populated rule in Epic:
- Comprehensive, high-impact advisories — Content sets now provide coverage for imaging, lab, procedure and blood management. All content is sourced from nationally-recognized medical specialty societies and delivered through the CareSelect Platform;
- Native workflow integration — Caregivers never leave their native EHR user experience. Decision support is triggered in real-time during normal provider workflows: placing an order, admitting a patient, opening a chart, patient discharge and other appropriate points in the workflow;
- Purpose-built benchmarking and analytics—The CareSelect Platform offers purpose-built benchmarking and analytics tools. All interactions with the decision support session are recorded and can be accessed through the NDSC tools, EHR reporting tools or published to external applications. These tools and related data elements are also leveraged to take advantage of Epic-native Cogito reporting tools such as Clarity, Reporting Workbench, Radar and BPA Cube;
- Content curation, localization and authoring—A full suite of content curation tools is available to enable sites to adapt decision support algorithms around local best practices and pathways. These same tools allow sites to easily control business logic around when advisories are displayed, enabling multiple algorithms based on care setting, patient class and even payer criteria; and
- Optimized delivery – NDSC offers a full suite of services to support implementation of the CareSelect Platform. NDSC analysts are authorized to perform EHR configuration and build services and collaborate with sites to support implementation. Services include build analyst services, identification and curation of local guideline needs into the platform and support for change management through engagement with the client's internal decision support and clinical teams.
The expansion of the NDSC's offerings within Epic enables customers to take an integrated approach to acquiring and implementing CareSelect within their overall EHR contracting and implementation strategy.
For more information: www.nationaldecisionsupport.com