News | Treatment Planning | May 24, 2018

Top Score in Multiple Brain Metastases TROG 2018 Treatment Plan Study Achieved With Accuray Precision

Results demonstrate high treatment plan quality achievable with Accuray treatment planning software (TPS)

May 24, 2018 — Daniela Schmitt, Ph.D., took top honors in the overall category of the 2018 TROG Plan Study: Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) Brain, with a plan she created using the Accuray Precision Treatment Planning System. Schmitt, a medical physicist at Heidelberg University Hospital, Germany, developed a plan for delivery on the CyberKnife M6 System, a device designed from the ground up to deliver SRS treatments with precision and accuracy, and without an invasive frame.

The study, hosted by TROG Cancer Research and ProKnow, received 160 entries from clinicians around the world. Of these submissions, only 10 percent were plans produced by the proprietary Accuray Precision System or the MultiPlan TPS for the CyberKnife platform. The remaining 90 percent were created using treatment planning software for other delivery systems.

The goal of the study was to quantify the capabilities of different planners and delivery modalities to create high-quality treatment plans for a challenging SRS case with five small brain metastases. The plans were scored based on target coverage and organ-at-risk (OAR) sparing, defined by specific metrics. Evaluation of the plans was objective and transparent with real-time scoring and analysis.

"It was a great experience to compete with all available systems for SRS treatments," said Schmitt. "We often use the CyberKnife to treat patients with multiple brain metastases and now have confirmation of our good clinical practice. Treatment planning studies like this can help the whole community to find the best solution with their systems and to achieve the best daily clinical treatment plans based on the lessons learned."

The Accuray Precision System is a full-featured treatment planning system, enabling clinicians to efficiently generate high-quality radiation therapy treatment plans for all SRS and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) cases delivered by the CyberKnife System.

Key features include:

  • Treatment planning is faster and easier to perform, without sacrificing precision and accuracy in radiation dose delivery;
  • Simplified workflows, automated contouring and plan automation tools support highly efficient plan generation for even the most complex clinical cases; and
  • Defining the target and OAR correctly can be achieved easily due to multimodality images and automated contouring tools.

For more information: www.accuray.com

Related Content

New Prostate Cancer Radiotherapy Technique Aims to Preserve Sexual Function
News | Radiation Therapy | June 18, 2018
A multicenter clinical trial being led by UT Southwestern physicians is testing a technique for sparing nerve bundles...
Elekta Unity High-Field MR-Linac Receives CE Mark
News | Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) | June 18, 2018
Elekta announced that its Elekta Unity magnetic resonance radiation therapy (MR/RT) system has received CE mark,...
Florida Hospital First in State to Adopt NeuroLogica's BodyTom Elite CT
News | Computed Tomography (CT) | June 14, 2018
June 14, 2018 — NeuroLogica, a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co.
Washington University in St. Louis Begins Clinical Treatments With ViewRay MRIdian Linac
News | Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) | June 14, 2018
June 14, 2018 — The Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine in S
Accuray TomoTherapy System Beneficial in Two Total Body Irradiation Studies
News | Radiation Therapy | June 13, 2018
Recently published data from two new studies demonstrate the benefits of Accuray’s TomoTherapy System in the delivery...
IsoRay Funding Brain Cancer Treatment Research With Ochsner Clinic Foundation
News | Brachytherapy Systems | June 12, 2018
IsoRay Inc. announced the initiation of research funding for brain cancer treatment to Ochsner Clinic Foundation, a not...
News | Brachytherapy Systems | June 07, 2018
IsoRay Inc. announced the upcoming release of its Build-Blu delivery system for real-time prostate brachytherapy.
Raysearch RayStation
Feature | Radiation Therapy | June 05, 2018 | By Melinda Taschetta-Millane
Treatment planning systems are at the heart of r...
Beaumont Researchers Invent New Mode of Proton Treatment for Lung Cancer
News | Proton Therapy | May 31, 2018
Members of Beaumont Health’s proton therapy team presented research on a new treatment for patients with lung cancer at...
More Than 60 Percent of Patients Seeking Proton Therapy Initially Denied Coverage
News | Proton Therapy | May 25, 2018
The Alliance for Proton Therapy Access has released a national report revealing the heavy emotional and financial...
Overlay Init