January 26, 2010 - The need for more control when developing a radiation therapy plan for 4D respiratory is critical. When running a QA test for gating on a phantom, clinicians want greater flexibility to import and control the motion profiles, while simplifying the programming process.
To meet this need, a new respiratory gating phantom offers three axes of control. In addition, it features new PET inserts as well as a 4DCT QA insert.
The Model 008A Dynamic Thorax phantom provides tissue equivalent respiratory motion with 3 axes of control and can be used to:
- Commission 4D imaging and 4D radiotherapy systems;
- Quantify volumetric and positional aliasing of CT in the presence of 3D target motion;
- Evaluate static and dynamic target localization accuracy of onboard imaging systems;
- Test accuracy and consistency of tumor tracking and respiratory gating devices;
- Assess dosimetric accuracy of temporally modulated radiation therapy; and
- Train and evaluate personnel during implementation of new equipment and techniques.
The CIRS Motion Control software is a user-friendly graphical user interface that supports the operation of the Model 008A. Users can now import patient specific waveforms directly from tab delimited or comma separated files. It also provides real-time display of target and surrogate motion parameters and the ability to adjust motion amplitude, cycle time and phase shift with pull down menus and slider bars. Existing Model 008 owners can upgrade their system to have the same functionality as the Model 008A.
The Dynamic Thorax phantom features:
- A tissue equivalent phantom body with anthropomorphic spine, external alignment marks and CT fiducials for phantom image registration;
- Independently controlled SI and AP/LR tumor motion with submillimeter precision;
- Programmable surrogate motion independently from tumor motion and with submillimeter precision; and
- Inserts for 4DCT QA, PET/CT, MOSFET, Micro Chamber, film and gel dosimetry.
For more information: www.cirsinc.com