January 8, 2008 – After just eight months since its publication launch, the Patient Resource Cancer Guide has printed over 500,000 issues and mailed to more than 6,000 oncology offices.
The cancer guide made its debut in April 2007 as the first ever publication of its kind: a direct to patient educational tool, allowing cancer patients and their families access to vital information in making informed medical decisions about treatment. This 128 page, full color publication is made available free of charge to cancer patients and their families.
“We knew we were on the right path when we launched,” according to founder Linette Atwood. “But I could never have imagined the distance we’ve come in such a short time.”
Other milestones of the Patient Resource Cancer Guide’s inaugural edition include:
- May 2007: Patient Resource Medical Editor (and former ASCO President) Dr. Charles M. Balch honored at ASCO industry meeting with lifetime achievement award. ASCO’s People Living With Cancer partners with Patient Resource to provide ongoing content, counsel.
- June 2007: National press is told that Patient Resource heralds in a new era of patient advocacy among Baby Boomers. Dr. Balch is quoted as saying that he believes “…an informed and educated cancer patient will find a way to get the best care…..and live better and longer.” This represents an unprecedented view on health and healing in America..
- July 2007: Hundreds of people on the front-lines of cancer – medical professionals, patients and caregivers alike – write to extol the value of the guide in their own lives, and express continued support for the publication. Ranging from informational to inspirational to irreplaceable, these unsolicited testimonials fuel plans for a 2008 edition.
- August 2007: Plans unveiled for 2008 edition of Patient Resource, expanding content to include in-depth information on latest cancer therapy innovations such as vaccines and genetic testing, pediatric cancers, cancer pain, financial assistance, new clinical trials and more.
- September 2007: Linette Atwood interviewed by national press on the origins of the guide – including her own cancer journey. Coverage appears in national magazines such as MORE, Glamour and Ms. Fitness Magazine, along with Martha Stewart Radio and Bott Radio Network.
- October 2007: Retail bookstore distribution announced from Barnes & Noble, Borders, B.Dalton and others now carrying Patient Resource across the country.
- November 2007: Prestigious Board of Advisors assembled to steer Patient Resource’s new publications and programs into 2008. Members include well-known names from business and industry, opinion leaders from non-profit organizations, and highly respected medical doctors from the nation’s leading cancer treatment facilities.
- December 2007: Patient Resource marketed as a “Customer Favorite” in more than 800 Barnes & Nobles bookstores across the country, with special end aisle display for easy customer access.
Availability of the 2008 edition is expected in early spring.
For more information: www.PatientResource.net.