ART Advanced Research Technologies' works-in-progress SoftScan optical breast imaging device is designed to help solve the problems of characterizing lesions by building upon mammography with important biomarkers of:
- Angiogenesis, which correlates with malignant growth;
- Metabolism, which correlates with malignant, benign and normal physiology; and
- Microstructure, which correlates with microscopic histology.
Compared with conventional imaging systems, SoftScan is said to offer several benefits, such as:
- Higher degree of precision in diagnosis and treatment.
- Ability to image patients as often as necessary without exposure to ionizing radiation.
- Ability to image patients with radio-dense breast tissue, typical of younger women and those who are on hormonal replacement therapy.
- Ability to distinguish malignant tumours from benign tumours.
- Ability to monitor breast cancer treatments.
- Ability to personalize treatment.
- Ability to monitor neo-adjuvant therapy.