July 18, 2014 — Civco Medical Solutions will demonstrate the Protura robotic patient positioning system’s seamless interface with Varian’s Clinac iX and Trilogy medical linear accelerators (linacs) via the Varian Motion Management Interface at the upcoming American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) annual meeting in Austin, Texas, July 20-23.
The system remotely repositions patients with robotic six degrees of freedom, giving Varian linac users the ability to ensure sub-millimeter positioning accuracy from outside the treatment room. Combined with Civco’s comprehensive motion management solutions, Protura is optimized to handle the rigors of a busy clinic while improving efficiency and throughput.
The radiation oncology department at Università Cattolica Sacro Cuore (UCSC) Policlinico A. Gemelli, Rome, Italy, is the first facility to benefit from the interface.
“The recent integration with Varian allows our facility to set up patients with essentially no time added to our treatment workflow, while improving quality assurance with no manual entry,” said Silvia Chiesa, M.D., from the radiation oncology department at UCSC. “In addition to SRS [stereotactic radiosurgery], SRT [stereotactic radiotherapy] and SBRT [stereotactic body radiotherapy] patient treatment, we also use the Protura system for our standard patient care, realizing the need to reduce rotational errors and improve setup accuracy for all IGRT [image-guided radiotherapy] treatment applications.”
Protura and Varian integration will be demonstrated in the Civco booth throughout the AAPM meeting. This and other solutions for head and neck, breast, lung, abdomen and prostate will be spotlighted in-booth and on interactive touch-screen displays:
- Universal Couchtop Long Extension: The Universal Couchtop Long Extension (UCT LE) provides seamless imaging and treatment planning with dosimetrically matched couchtops that feature a large, junction-free and artifact-free treatment area. The unique profile of the UCT LE allows SBRT Body Pro-Lok bridges to attach directly to the couchtop, enabling a seamlessly integrated SBRT immobilization platform.
- trUpoint Arch SRS/SRT System: The newly released trUpoint Arch improves the patient’s experience and quality of care during SRS/SRT treatments with a noninvasive accurate, repeatable and comfortable hold that allowed less than 1 mm of patient movement during intrafraction immobilization testing.
- Body Pro-Lok SBRT Immobilization: Body Pro-Lok SBRT Immobilization allows for customized setups utilizing bridges that secure directly to the couchtop, thus eliminating the need for overlays and ensuring equivalent setups between CT [computed tomography] and treatment. The Body Pro-Lok system provides a simple, modular and reproducible foundation for any high-precision SBRT program, adapting to any department’s needs.
- MRSeries Positioning Devices: MRSeries provides a new dimension in radiation therapy treatment planning. With patient positioning and fixation devices for every disease site, MRSeries enables accurate transfer from MRI imaging to treatment.
- Fiducial Markers: Implantable fiducial markers provide a highly effective method of ensuring accurate target localization for tumors/organs that move in respect to external anatomy, as well as for the precise localization needed for stereotactic radiotherapy. Civco offers the largest selection of specially designed fiducial markers.
- New Horizon Prone Breastboard: The New Horizon Prone Breastboard provides comfortable, reproducible patient positioning for prone breast treatments. Its modular design and variety of accessories allows for customized prone setups with an emphasis on patient comfort and safety.
For more information: www.civco.com