December 4, 2014 — Chesapeake Urology Associates offers a state-of-the-art prostate cancer diagnostic, which fuses detailed MRI scans with live, real-time ultrasound images of the prostate. This biopsy system provides Chesapeake urologists with the capability to pinpoint tumors within the prostate gland, leading to more targeted treatment planning and better outcomes.
By combining advanced MRI imaging with 3-D ultrasound technology, this new biopsy system:
- Creates a 3-D map of the prostate
- Identifies suspicious lesions or targets on MRI
- Fuses or overlaps the 3-D MRI image onto the real-time 3-D ultrasound image of the prostate
- Provides clear visualization of the biopsy needle and the targeted lesion for accurate guidance
- Stores the exact location of each biopsy sample for future referencebopsy
Unlike the standard 2-D TRUS-guided prostate biopsy, which takes random tissue samples from the prostate and has a higher rate of missing cancerous cells within the gland, the 3-D Ultrasound/MRI Fusion Biopsy combines the clarity of an MRI image with a 3-D ultrasound image. This creates an enhanced 3-D map of the prostate for improved visualization of the gland, allowing determination of the exact location of potential tumors.
For more information: www.chesapeakeurology.com